Preppers and survivalists want to be able to take care of themselves and their families in any situation. They don’t want to be dependent on others in emergency situations, for example FEMA or the Red Cross.
Due to shows like Doomsday Preppers most people think all preppers are preparing for the end of the world as we know it. However, most preppers and survivalists are preparing for emergencies that are more likely to occur, such as:
- Natural disasters like earthquakes or forest fires
- Extreme weather like tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards or heat waves
- Prolonged power outages
- Job loss or other changes in the economic situation
These are all events we have seen happen in the recent past, even in our own country. So I think you can agree with me that preparing for these types of events is just good common sense.
One of the biggest problems people run into when they realize they should be more prepared and want to start with prepping is that they don’t know where to start.
And I can’t blame them, because there are hundreds of things you can do to become more prepared, so this can be overwhelming.
That’s why I created this guide for prepping and survival, to provide you with all the resources you need to get started right away!
The Ultimate List of the Best Prepping and Survival Resources on the Web
This guide is divided into several chapters. If you click on one of the chapter titles in the table of contents below you will jump to this chapter without refreshing the page. So pick a chapter you are interested in and get started!
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 – Water Is Your Most Vital Resource For Survival
- Chapter 2 – How To Avoid Starvation By Storing Emergency Food Supplies
- Chapter 3 – How To Cook Your Food When The Grid Goes Down
- Chapter 4 – Treating Injuries And Illnesses When There Is No Doctor Around
- Chapter 5 – Staying Warm And Keeping Cool When The Power Is Out
- Chapter 6 – Communication Options When The World Goes Dark
- Chapter 7 – How To Keep Yourself Safe In A Survival Situation
- Chapter 8 – Supplies Checklists For Preppers And Survivalists
- Chapter 9 – Prepping And Survival Books You Should Consider
Chapter 1 – Water Is Your Most Vital Resource For Survival
Water is an essential resource for survival. You can go a long time without food but you cannot go long without water. You should take the necessary steps to store emergency supplies of water that you and your family can use to drink, cook and wash with in case of disaster or emergency. Here are some great resources to help you get started with your emergency water supplies.
- Water – Ready.gov
- Emergency Water Supplies – Centers For Disease Control And Prevention
- Survival Basics: Water – The Prepper Journal
- Survival Basics: Water And Water Storage – Backdoor Survival
- Prepping 101: Water Storage, Purification, Filtration & Winter – Guns America
- Hydration For The Apocalypse: How to Store Water For Long-Term Emergencies – The Art Of Manliness
Chapter 2 – How To Avoid Starvation By Storing Emergency Food Supplies
Water is your most vital resource for survival, but you also need food. Without food your body will not function properly, if at all. And in case of an emergency or a disaster you and your family may not be able to get food for several days or even longer. That’s why you should take steps to build up an emergency supply of food so that you will be prepared if something happens.
- Food – Ready.gov
- Emergency Food Supplies – Centers For Disease Control And Prevention
- 20 Items To Kick Start Your Food Storage Plan – Backdoor Survival
- 37 Foods To Hoard – Happy Preppers
- 11 Emergency Food Items That Can Last A Lifetime – Ready Nutrition
- Food Preservation Techniques – The New Survivalist
- 14 Common Food Storage Mistakes And Goofs – Backdoor Survival
- Top 10 Most Common Emergency Food Fails Infographic – Food Insurance
Chapter 3 – How To Cook Your Food When The Grid Goes Down
It is likely you will not be able to use your microwave, electric stove or gas stove after a disaster or emergency happens. But you will still need to cook your food in those situations, so it is a good idea to be aware of alternative cooking methods. Here are some good resource to help you get started.
- Where There Is No Kitchen: Cooking When The Grid Goes Down – The Prepper Journal
- Survival Cooking – Wildwood Survival
- How To Cook On An Open Fire – Montana Homesteader
- Cooking On An Open Fire – i4at.org
- How To Make And Use A Solar Oven – WikiHow
- How To Build A Rocket Stove: 7 Plans – Sustainablog
- DIY Soda Can Stove – Survival Prepper Joe
Chapter 4 – Treating Injuries And Illnesses When There Is No Doctor Around
In case of injuries or illnesses in situations where you don’t have access to modern medicine you are on your own. If you ever find yourself in such circumstances you will be glad you took some time to become medically prepared. This chapter contains some excellent resources on medical preparedness.
- Prevent Illness And Injury After A Disaster – Centers For Disease Control And Prevention
- Dr. Bones And Nurse Amy’s Survival Medicine Website – Doom And Bloom
- 30 Things You Should Have In Your Medical First Aid Kits – OffGrid Survival
- Mother Nature’s Best Home Remedies – Survival Life
- Medical Group – Equipped To Survive
- Medical Training For Survival Emergencies – American Preppers Network
- Survival Basics: Hand & Surface Hygiene When There’s No Water To Spare – Backdoor Survival
Chapter 5 – Staying Warm And Keeping Cool When The Power Is Out
Like food and water, shelter from the elements is also one of our most basic needs. But staying warm or keeping cool when the weather is extreme can be a challenge. Take a look at the great resources in this chapter to prepare yourself for these situations.
- Winter Storms & Extreme Cold – Ready.gov
- Winter Weather – Centers For Disease Control And Prevention
- Staying Warm During A Winter Power Outage – The Organic Prepper
- Extreme Heat – Ready.gov
- Extreme Heat – Centers For Disease Control And Prevention
- Staying Cool Without Air Conditioning: Tips For Cooling Off During A Power Outage – OffGrid Survival
- Emergency Clothing – Ready Nutrition
Chapter 6 – Communication Options When The World Goes Dark
It is a good idea to prepare a communication plan in case of emergencies, disasters or other survival situations. Having the ability to obtain and share information in those situations is very important. Here are some awesome resources about communication options when the world goes dark.
- How To Communicate When The World Goes Silent
- Prepping 101: Communication Options – The Prepper Journal
- Radio Communication When TV, Radio & Internet Go Dark – Guns America
- Survival Radio: Communication In A Broken World – Skilled Survival
- Resistance 101: Why You Should Consider Ham Radio For Communications – The Organic Prepper
Chapter 7 – How To Keep Yourself Safe In A Survival Situation
A well-know prepping phrase is “If you can’t protect it, you don’t own it”. What good does having enough food and water do you if others can simply take it from you. That is why security and defense are an important aspect of prepping and survival. Here are some fantastic resources to help you prepare to keep yourself safe in a survival situation.
- Prepping 101: Home Security – The Prepper Journal
- 20 Home Security And Crime Prevention Secrets For Preppers – Backdoor Survival
- Home Defense – Ready Nutrition
- Long-Term Security And Defense – Ready Nutrition
- The Best Prepper Guns List: Must Have Weapons For SHTF – The Prepper Journal
- A Look At Alternative Weapons For The Prepper – Off The Grid News
Chapter 8 – Supplies Checklists For Preppers And Survivalists
This chapter lists several comprehensive checklists of supplies for preppers and survivalists. You can use these checklists to get ideas for your own stockpile of supplies and also to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything important yourself.
- Basic Disaster Supplies Kit – Ready.gov
- The Ultimate Survival Gear List – More Than Just Surviving
- Prepping 101: Preppers List Of Supplies – The Prepper Journal
- Survival List For Disaster And Emergency Preparedness – All Things Emergency Prepared
- A Comprehensive Supply List For Economic Collapse – The Survivalist Blog
- Prepper Supplies Checklist – Preppers Survive
- Bug Out Bag Essentials List – Survivor’s Fortress
- Ultimate Bug Out Bag Checklist – Know Prepare Survive
Chapter 9 – Prepping And Survival Books You Should Consider
There are a lot of prepping and survival books on the market, so it is difficult to assemble a good list of recommended books. That’s why I decided to use the books from the “Recommended Reading” chapter from the excellent Prepper’s Long-Term Survival Guide by Jim Cobb.
(By the way: Jim Cobb advises to acquire these books in hard copy format so you are not dependent on electricity to be able to access the knowledge inside of them)
Food Preservation And Storage
- Canning and Preserving for Dummies
- Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits and Vegetables
- Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving: 400 Delicious and Creative Recipes for Today
- The Encyclopedia of Country Living: The Original Manual for Living Off the Land and Doing It Yourself
- Storey’s Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
- Mini Farming: Self Sufficiency on 1⁄4 Acre
Medical And First Aid
- Coast to Coast Survival Plants
- A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
- A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs: Western North America (Peterson Field Guides)
- Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians
- PDR for Herbal Medicines
- The Survival Medicine Handbook: A Guide for When Help Is Not on the Way
- Where There Is No Doctor
- Where There Is No Dentist
- US Army Special Forces Medical Handbook
Security And Defense
- Prepper’s Home Defense: Security Strategies to Protect Your Family by Any Means Necessary
- Holding Your Ground: Preparing for Defense If It All Falls Apart
- The Prepper’s Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster
- Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit
- Build the Perfect Survival Kit
- Emergency Food Storage and Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
- The Prepper’s Complete Book of Disaster Readiness: Life-Saving Skills, Supplies, Tactics and Plans
- The Unofficial Hunger Games Wilderness Survival Guide